Caring for Somebody Living with Heart Disease and Stroke
After somebody suffers from a heart disease or stoke, it is normal for them to feel more tired than usual as their body is still healing and needs time to rest and rejuvenate. The person who has suffered from heart disease or stroke will need to take some time off work or if retired, focus on resting. There are many steps a caregiver or family member can take to make life a little easier:
- Encourage your loved one to engage in cardiac rehabilitation.
- Be empathetic and understand that your loved one may have trouble with memory and thinking.
- Break tasks into small steps and help them complete each step slowly.
- Go out for regular walks to get their blood circulating and start a routine of daily exercise as a first step towards a heart-healthy lifestyle.
- Turn to housekeeping or home support services that can help with home care and cleaning.
- Go over healthy eating options and encourage them to turn their health around, starting with the right diet.
Treatment for heart disease includes a wide array of medication, surgeries and therapies. People suffering from a heart disease should consult their doctor to decide which medical option is best for them, given their condition.
For more information please click here.